FANDOM


  • The book says Caleb is a few months older than Tris.

    however, this would not be possible.

    Once a woman has a child, she cannot become pregnant again for 6 months or so.

    Then, when she does become pregnant, it takes another 9 months for the baby to be born.

    Which means the minimum age difference between two children (who are not twins) would be at least 15 months.

    Caleb and Tris could not have chosen factions at the same time.

      Loading editor
    • "Once a woman has a child, she cannot become pregnant again for 6 months or so."

      Where are you getting this from? There is the concept of Irish twins. 

       

        Loading editor
    • A woman can get pregnant the same month or a month later, it doesn't matter.

        Loading editor
    • 108.11.231.246 wrote:

      Which means the minimum age difference between two children (who are not twins) would be at least 15 months.

      You can get pregnant again 21 days after delivering a baby.  Although it is not adviseable, which is why doctors will discuss contraception, it is possible.  I had a classmate whose age difference with a brother was less than a year, but more than 9 months.

        Loading editor
    • Agreed! If Caleb was delivered just after Choosing Day, which is on the same day each year, that would've given Natalie Prior at most around three months to concieve Tris and deliver her around nine months later, before Choosing Day. Therefore, both Caleb and Tris would have been born within the same, shall we say, 'Choosing' year, which would have meant that they both chose their faction of choice on the same day. 

        Loading editor
    • a woman is, in fact, at her most fertile right after birth, (if not breastfeeding). Even if exclusively breastfeeding a woman can get her periods back pretty quickly. It's certainly not uncommon for a woman to give birth to 2 children within 12 months.

        Loading editor
    • Twins guys. Twins. 

        Loading editor
    • It is stated in the book that they are NOT twins...

        Loading editor
    • Tris could have been born premature...

        Loading editor
    • "Caleb is not quite a year older than I am, so we are in the same year at school." Divergent Chapter 1.

      Reading this gave me the impression that they were Irish twins with a ten of eleven month gap between them.

        Loading editor
    • It may be an Abnegation thing to have babies close together, as they are probably not allowed to have intercourse too much, as it is probably considered self-indulgent.

        Loading editor
    • well there is THAT but the abnegation are CONSERVATIVE they can't show as much as the COLLARBONE as flashing skin is probably self-indulgent and I think that Caleb and Tris are 10 months apart and they are Irish twins and the Abnegation frown on sex in the first place so it probably is considered self-indulgent.

        Loading editor
    • and to a wikia contributor what makes you think that Tris was born premature? neither her nor Caleb have any birth defects and divergence is not caused by being born early.

        Loading editor
    • Avartar, are you implying all prematurely born babies have birth defects..?

        Loading editor
    • A women can get pregnant 6 weeks after giving birth. Because it takes 6 weeks for the body to heal and also look at Jessica Simpson, she had a a baby a found out that she was pregnant for the second time two months after she gave broth to her daughter. It also states that the body is all healed up and able to become pregnant. So it is possible that both Caleb and Beatrice could have been born in the same year, but not twins. To different pregnancies in the same year could be possible if you do that math. because of the timing. It would be like that. So this should finish it.

      But I might be wrong, so like a dauntless, I stand my ground and like candor I will prove this to be right and also like amity I will accept anything you say. But like abnegation if he his is wrong then I will be quite about it. But I am not Erudite who try to do wrong to people, by proving them to be wrong.

        Loading editor
    • guys tris is just amazing who cares about the age difference!

        Loading editor
    • 1000000000000% AGREED

        Loading editor
    • I guess it never really mattered.

        Loading editor
    • Caleb and Beatrice prior are just like these two brother and sis in my class in high school!

        Loading editor
    • there people like that in my school only they are in different grades.

        Loading editor
    • Caleb is almost a year older than Tris. They are both 16, but in Insurgent she writes that Caleb is almost 17.

        Loading editor
    • becuase that means his birthday is coming around

        Loading editor
    • and the first time he celebrates it.

        Loading editor
    • There's the concept of Irish twins, 6 weeks after delivering a child a woman can become pregnant again. And if they aren't Irish twins Tris might have been premature

        Loading editor
    • I don't see many signs of Tris as a premature.

        Loading editor
    • Even if she was it does not matter she is younger than Caleb!

      And that is what we need...

        Loading editor
    • she said not quite a year older than me so they are at least 11 months apart to 364 days apart.

        Loading editor
    • Irish Twins

        Loading editor
    • well yes that is what they are I thought we already established that.

        Loading editor
    • Susan and Robert were also in the same year and if we presume that they were not twins, we we back up the thought that abnegation get all their sexy time done ASAP to prevent self indulgence.

        Loading editor
    • In the 2nd trimester a women is able to carry a new devloping egg.

        Loading editor
    • they can but they wouldn't become twins.

        Loading editor
    • They don't necessarily have to be twins. There are a set of sisters that I go to school with that are in the same grade but are not twins. One was born in September and the other was born in the summer following the September that the older sister was born.

        Loading editor
    • I know the concept of Irish twins.

        Loading editor
    • Iamafan wrote:
      108.11.231.246 wrote:
      Which means the minimum age difference between two children (who are not twins) would be at least 15 months.
      You can get pregnant again 21 days after delivering a baby.  Although it is not adviseable, which is why doctors will discuss contraception, it is possible.  I had a classmate whose age difference with a brother was less than a year, but more than 9 months.

      I agree Say that she got pregnant in April and then 9 months later it's January then she had Caleb and then she can be able to have Beatrice in the same year

        Loading editor
    • 108.11.231.246 wrote:
      The book says Caleb is a few months older than Tris.

      however, this would not be possible.

      Once a woman has a child, she cannot become pregnant again for 6 months or so.

      Then, when she does become pregnant, it takes another 9 months for the baby to be born.

      Which means the minimum age difference between two children (who are not twins) would be at least 15 months.

      Caleb and Tris could not have chosen factions at the same time.

      Yes they could of. Iknow someone who is 3 moths apart from her brother. It is possible just not recommended.



        Loading editor
    • Can't you get pregnant immediately again if you don't breastfeed at all?

        Loading editor
    • My sister and I are one year and 27 days apart, so I KNOW that it is possible to be less than 15 month difference.

        Loading editor
    • Annabeth and Percy you can get pregnant again just six weeks after giving birth and so that means you can have another baby in the same year. Like one in February and one in November or December. So yeah.

        Loading editor
    • I did say that women could get pregnant again right after they give birth. But doesn't that depend on whether they breastfeed or not?

        Loading editor
    • It doesn't depend of breast feeding, they can have try for another in six weeks time.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, ok.

        Loading editor
    • My oldest was born November 9th 2003, my second was born October 29th 2004.  Just saying...

        Loading editor
    •  

      You are wrong.........................................................................................................................and the book was not realistic........................AND IT'S FICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE "FACTS" DON'T HAVE TO BE CORRECT!!

        Loading editor
    • 50.129.78.164 wrote:
      Avartar, are you implying all prematurely born babies have birth defects..?

      agreed!

      I have a cousin who was born premature, and she's absolutely fine in every physical way.  and one of my other cousins had her son prematurely and he's fine too!  why people think that just because a baby is born prematurely there HAS to be something wrong with it is beyond me.

        Loading editor
    • 86.41.130.82 wrote

      Yes they could of. Iknow someone who is 3 moths apart from her brother. It is possible just not recommended.

      now THAT is not possible.  to be 3 months apart, the woman would have to get pregnant, get pregnant again sometime down the road, have one baby, then 3 months later have the second baby.  or she would have to get pregnant immediately after giving birth, then have the second baby 3 months later, which is beyond impossible.  it's still a fetus.  hardly a baby at all.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      there people like that in my school only they are in different grades.

      that has to do with the birthday cutoff.  for example, let's say the cutoff date is October 1.  if one sibling was born in January, and a second one was born the same year in November, they will be in different grades, but be the same age.

      I don't know what my school's cutoff date was, but my cousin and I are 6 months apart and we were almost in different grades.

        Loading editor
    • KCCreations
      KCCreations removed this reply because:
      inappropriate content
      18:33, August 5, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • The term Irish Twins is an Ethnic Slur to the Iriish it was used as a put down on how years ago when Ireland was a purely agricultural country large Catholic farm familes were the norm. Please drop the term Irish Twins from your vocabulary as it is a Racist remark. Many words which were once tolerated and used in every day vocabulary are no longer accepted. Wikia would allow the words like Kike, Fag or Guido to be published. 

        Loading editor
    • 98.84.101.76 wrote:

      86.41.130.82 wrote

      Yes they could of. Iknow someone who is 3 moths apart from her brother. It is possible just not recommended.

      now THAT is not possible.  to be 3 months apart, the woman would have to get pregnant, get pregnant again sometime down the road, have one baby, then 3 months later have the second baby.  or she would have to get pregnant immediately after giving birth, then have the second baby 3 months later, which is beyond impossible.  it's still a fetus.  hardly a baby at all.

      Actually it is possible if they were originally twins and the mother went into premature labor one twin could have been born at wround the 6 month mark of the pregnancy and the doctors could have stopped the mothers labor to try and keep the baby in the womb where it's safest and left the mother on bedrest for 3 months. Though that is highly unlikely it is possible

        Loading editor
    • My younger brother and I are Irish Twins. I was born July 14th and he was born June 6th the following year. We're the same age for a month and 8 days every year. Im irish and okay with the term Irish twins because he and i looked identical until we reached our teenaged years. My theory is that Beatrice was born a month or a month or so before choosing day and Caleb's birthday is some time within a month's span after choosing day.

        Loading editor
    • what's with the not possible stuff? it not a true story. a fiction book does not have to be connected with the facts that happen in real life. 

        Loading editor
    • But things have to make sense for a book to work, otherwise there are many plotholes.


      Since this happens in the future, humans could have evolved to give birth quicker (like 5-6 months).

        Loading editor
    • In divergent it is possible for tris and Caleb to choose their faction at the same time this is because Caleb would have to be born within the first or second month of the year then a woman can get pregnant 25 days after birth so that means tris's birthday would be Toward the end of the year this shows that they can be born within the same year

        Loading editor
    • I'm really confused

        Loading editor
    • My brother was born 11 months and 18 days after me. I was born in June and he was born in May the following year. If Caleb were born in January then Beatrice could've been born in November or December, thereby making them both born in the same year.

        Loading editor
    • Some women continue to ovulate even during pregnancy it rare but it is possible to get pregnant have sex while pregnant and if there is another egg to get pregnant again. The children would not be twins but could be a few months apart.

        Loading editor
    • we need veronica roth to do some explaining

        Loading editor
    • Guys, some of you are missing the point. A FEW MONTHS. If it takes nine months to deliver, then that's not a few months. The starter of this discussion has a semi-correct point. Tris can't be 'a few months' younger than Caleb. As for this being fiction, why don't they just fly?

        Loading editor
    • Few months here is 10-11 months

        Loading editor
    • In the book, Tris was SMALL for her age, which could mean that she was born prematurely.

        Loading editor
    • omg it doesn't freaking matter

      but just saying i hate caleb he is such a coward i would rather be living with peter, eric,and jeanine

        Loading editor
    • Actually, it IS POSSIBLE. A woman can get pregnant when she is already pregnant. This is an odd phenomenon known as SUPERFETATION.

        Loading editor
    • How the hell could you hate Caleb?

        Loading editor
    • Does nobody get that Divergent is A BOOK, get over yourselfs. YOU ARE THE PEOPLE THAT RUIN THE BOOKS FOR OTHERS. IT IS REALLY RUDE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

        Loading editor
    • It is absolutely possible for them to be born the same year, and I know that they're not twins, but I think it would make more sense if they were in order to have the same choosing ceremony.

      Say Caleb was born in January and Tris was born in November, she says in the past few months she already turned 16, so Caleb should be 17 and have already chosen, or if for some reason he didn't, she would be 15. And it seems there are no age cut offs in school, otherwise they should be in different grades.

      Not that it really matters, and it's fiction so Veronica can write whatever she wants, but this always bothered me. Or as someone else pointed out, Tris could have been born prematurely.

        Loading editor
    • 173.61.103.82 wrote:
      The term Irish Twins is an Ethnic Slur to the Iriish it was used as a put down on how years ago when Ireland was a purely agricultural country large Catholic farm familes were the norm. Please drop the term Irish Twins from your vocabulary as it is a Racist remark. Many words which were once tolerated and used in every day vocabulary are no longer accepted. Wikia would allow the words like Kike, Fag or Guido to be published. 

      It's not racist until you make it racist.

        Loading editor
    • Does anyone know what Tris's birthday is, though? Veronica Roth might not have mentioned it, since it would be self-indulgent to celebrate it in Abnegation, but I wondered if anyone knew.

        Loading editor
    • Nah. No one knows her birthday just its between January and early June

        Loading editor
    • I thought it was at the end of the year…?

        Loading editor
    • Since Caleb and Tris were born in the same year, Caleb would have to be born in the beginning of the year and Tris at the end. A woman can get pregnant 6 weeks after her previous baby was born, so that would create a 10/11-month difference between her children. That's almost equal to a year, so Caleb and Tris would have to be born at opposite ends of the year.

        Loading editor
    • Thank you all for responding.  I searched this question as I did not read the books, only watched the movies and always wondered.  I'd like to point out a few things...

      1) Children born premature do not always have difficulties related to being premature.  To insinuate this is unintelligent and insulting.  I am a mother to ten year old twins that were nine weeks premature.  Neither thankfully have any difficulties due to their early start on life.

      2) A woman can get pregnant at any time after her very first menstral cycle. This means that if she has intercourse regardless of how old her baby is, there is a chance of getting pregnant.  The six week waiting period is a doctor recommended amount of time before one should consider having intercourse. This is to let the woman heal and to avoid infection.   

      3) Irish Twins are when siblings are born within 12 months of one another. If you are born within a longer time frame (I.e. 12 months 8 days) you are not in fact Irish Twins. Also the term is just that and should not be taken in offense. 

        Loading editor
    • Lol Maybe two different Mom.

        Loading editor
    • Guyguyman wrote: what's with the not possible stuff? it not a true story. a fiction book does not have to be connected with the facts that happen in real life. 

      It still needs to make sense though otherwise it’s just a terrible book. The fact that they are in the same “choosing class”, classes happen once every calendar year AND they are brother & sister BUT NOT twins clearly mattered to A LOT OF READERS. Or this question would not be one this site and would not have dozens of people replyin trying to explain it. Personally this little fact, though largely insignificant compared to the Big Picture of the story/plot, has been annoying the hell outta me. I feel the author should have just explained it right away as soon as it’s brought up that the main character’s brother will be attending the same choosing class as her. Or simpler yet just have made them twins. It really would not have changed the story other than to give an easy to follow reason they are both choosing to leave their parents factions on the same day. And we follow them both along their journey into the worlds of their new factions. It may have been nothing to u Bc as u say it’s a fictional story, but it really did bother me off an on during reading. And wondering/trying to figure out a reason why they were in the same class but not twins kept creeping back into my mind during reading and later watching the movie. Taking me out of the story. So I just feel the author could have taken 1 minute and made a decision as to their ages and just explained it in the same sentence that Tris mentions her brother being a “few” months older. Or decided to make them twins. Either way it just felt sloppy and UNfinished to me. And I still like the books again it’s uust that one little issue I wish would have been handled better

        Loading editor
    • Why do you care about the age so much. This is a fiction book. It’s not real. In fiction things don’t have to be real.

        Loading editor
    • Caleb is older then tris but barely which means as soon as he was born his mother got pregnant less then a month later and then had tris 9 months later. They are not twins but very close in age. In fact they are so close in age they couldnt get any closer beside being twins which as i just stated they are not according to divergent. Also they are in the same class because caleb was slightly older then the average kid in his class and tris barely made the age limit to be in that class

        Loading editor
    • 73.11.176.34 wrote: Lol Maybe two different Mom.

      They have the same parents it literly states that in the book

        Loading editor
    • You guys, It is a book. It does not matter. It is totally possible to be born within a year of eachother even if you are not twins.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message