FANDOM


  • As an author, you must be willing to kill off some of the characters to make the story interesing. What Veronica Roth did was very risky buisness, because she killed off a main character. However, I personally think it added the right touch of emotion to the story, because if you are like me, you were not very, well, emotional about the deaths of the other characters. But when Tobias basically becomes depressed and tries to remove memories of Tris, you can tell how deeply he felt for her, and that moved me. I have to say one more thing, though, and here it is: Thank you, Veronica Roth, for making this world and characters, thank you.

      Loading editor
    • I totally agree. When I first started to read Allegiant, all I could think was: Why the hell did you put Four's POV in it too? It just confuses EVERYONE. And then, the end came along, and I understood. THANK YOU VERONICA

        Loading editor
    • It hit me DEEPLY. But thank you Veronica for giving a great ending. 

        Loading editor
    • Yeah...thanks for killing off a main character because she was too selfless in the end... #iapplaudtris

        Loading editor
    • Ever since I read this book, I deeply fell in love with it. Veronica, you are such a wonderful author! I still have to read Insurgent, and Allegiant! Thank you again, I really wish I could meet you!

        Loading editor
    • To be honest (like candor) tris's death (don't kill me) did not hit me hardly. When I was reading it, I was like, "oh wait, she just died, ok..." Seriously, I don't think I've known tris long enough to cry about it. I'm not saying Veronica Roth isn't a good author, I'm just saying that there are much sadder deaths out there. Tris's death and all the other character deaths were just...boring.

        Loading editor
    • I think that Tris's death was tragic but i think in the movies they are going to have her alive. Because it would be careless if they did that in the movies, but they can film it and make it for the extra features but anything but that would be sad.

        Loading editor
    • it was tragic to hear her death but i think that Veronica Roth made a very good book series!

      Keep up the good work!

        Loading editor
    • I don't think she'll be alive in the movies cause 1) it wouldn't be following the book and 2) they are not gonna change the ending just cause the fans that it was a sad ending. Sorry but not all stories have happy endings.

        Loading editor
      • spoilers?*

      Ah, this maybe be a little over critical, but while Veronica is a brilliant writer, I don't think she handled Tris's death as well as she could. The fact that the death serum was one of the only defense mechanisms to guard such dangerous things is a little silly, if you think about it.

      See, since Tris can resist the effects of the death serum, that means it's based off the same way all the other serums work(I'm not very sure on how that works). Why would you use that if half the people in that base are divergent? why not a quick-killing gas like cyanide or Florine(sorry if the use of those gasses in a murderous way is incorrect)? Especially if it's possible for someone to resist it. They may not have thought that someone could, but just theoretically being able to resist it would be enough for me to not rely on that method.

      on the subject of how tris's death was written, I feel as though it was pretty arbitrary, aside of the mood it set during the last bit of the book. There wasn't much of a lesson to be learned, or any use of it being a plot device. There wasn't a build up to it, yet it wasn't sudden. In fact, it sort of ruined the 3rd book for me. It showed Tris's dedication to helping others, but... other than that, I don't see a good reason. Perhaps Veronica Roth had a good reason, but I'm just not seeing it.

        Loading editor
    • dont kill me but i sometimes hate veronica roth for killing off all those characters. lik seriosly if u compare the dead people vs alive people there are way more dead people. and ill never forgive her for killing tris.

        Loading editor
    • TheBackwardsBard wrote:
      *spoilers?*

      Ah, this maybe be a little over critical, but while Veronica is a brilliant writer, I don't think she handled Tris's death as well as she could. The fact that the death serum was one of the only defense mechanisms to guard such dangerous things is a little silly, if you think about it.

      See, since Tris can resist the effects of the death serum, that means it's based off the same way all the other serums work(I'm not very sure on how that works). Why would you use that if half the people in that base are divergent? why not a quick-killing gas like cyanide or Florine(sorry if the use of those gasses in a murderous way is incorrect)? Especially if it's possible for someone to resist it. They may not have thought that someone could, but just theoretically being able to resist it would be enough for me to not rely on that method.

      on the subject of how tris's death was written, I feel as though it was pretty arbitrary, aside of the mood it set during the last bit of the book. There wasn't much of a lesson to be learned, or any use of it being a plot device. There wasn't a build up to it, yet it wasn't sudden. In fact, it sort of ruined the 3rd book for me. It showed Tris's dedication to helping others, but... other than that, I don't see a good reason. Perhaps Veronica Roth had a good reason, but I'm just not seeing it.

      Actually, the Death Serum is NOT supposed to be resisted. Tris is, as Veronica Roth poined out, different, even from the other Divergents, because she has an Aptitude for three factions (Erudite, Abnegation, and Dauntless), wherase most Divergents have only an Aptitude for two factions. (Normally your faction of origin and one other, maybe the one a parent came from.) 

      So, because of that fact, they didn't know someone out there would be able to resist the serum. 


      And, to speak to what lost of people are saying, about the whole 'Tris dieing' thing...

      I'm just as sad as everyone else, and I cried as hard as anyone, especially since Fourtris is my OTP and that really hurt me hard, but... Looking back I'd like to thank Veronica Roth. (If you're reading this Ms. Roth... Wow.) 

      She made her AMAZINGSAWSE book even better, because it didn't have the usual ending, where the guy gets the girl, and they live happily ever after. Sure, the book was sad. And kinda annoying. But it was the truth. 


      Not everything's happily ever after. 

      Stay Dauntless,

      ~Cat

        Loading editor
    • What made you write this book

        Loading editor
    • I think Veronica Roth created the best books ever. I LOVE DIVERGENT!!

        Loading editor
    • It broke me inside the moment I knew Tris was going to die.It was so depressing I nearly cried...Even if she had to die,why not a painless death but a painful one?A person said that Tris was arrogant and deserved to die...Thats stupid.If Tris was arrogant,she would not have sacrifised herself...Oh well,I suppose I still need to thank Veronica Roth for making these good books...

        Loading editor
    • I wouldn't have pushed myself in front of Caleb, I would have shot the gun out of David's hand, all-in-all, I thought Tris's death was too reckless.

        Loading editor
    • I love this series but her dieing was very sad and made me cry but I do have to agree her dieing was a very good twist in the series and showed that Tobias did rely love her

        Loading editor
    • how can we say that four is a divergent? i still don't understand! please someone make time and tell me. waiting for your reply at the earliest. :)

        Loading editor
    • I don't get why most of use DIEING. It's supposed to be DYING, idiots.

        Loading editor
    • Even though I agree that "dying" is the proper spelling, that doesn't give you the right to call them idiots. That's better you leave it to yourself.

        Loading editor
    • 172.2.246.178 wrote:
      Yeah...thanks for killing off a main character because she was too selfless in the end... #iapplaudtris

      Hey!  Tris was not too selfless.  She was a balance.  Part warrior, part heart & humanity.  The perfect balance.  Just like Wonder Woman!

        Loading editor
    • I think you mean "Tris was not selfish." Because when you say that Tris was not selfless, you're saying that she was selfish.

        Loading editor
    • Okay, a bit of advice for you; If you ever write a story, make sure that every death has a reason. I personally think that the idea of the Divergent series was great, but Veronica Roth did a sloppy job of it's actual execution. Also, Tobias's perspective sounds EXACTLY like Tris's. I kept getting confused because of this. Now for Tris's death. It was a stupid choice to kill Tris off for no reason. Oh? The reason is to prove that she's actually really selfless? But then it's proof she never belonged in Dauntless! If you think about it, her "selflessness" at the end made everything she had done, all the sacrifices made for her, and the sacrifices she made, stole her happy ending. It also stole Tobias and Christina's happy ending, because they wanted Tris to be happy, and, no doubt alive. If Ms. Roth wanted Tris to die so badly, why did she invent the character in the first place? See what I mean, it doesn't make sense, and it saddens me. Yeah, so respond, tell me if you agree or disagree.

        Loading editor
    • I disagree. I think the reason being is to prove that the hero doesn't always live. Sometimes you have to die to win.

        Loading editor
    • I agree with Annabeth and Percy. Not all stories have a happy ending. Veronica Roth did an amazing job of twisting the plot so it's not like most other books that we've read where the main character fall in love (possibly also a love triangle) and then live happily ever after.

        Loading editor
    • Veronica Roth did that to break the line of having all heroes living in novels these days like Bella in Twilight (but she eventually died and reanimated with vampire venom), Katniss in Hunger Games and Sookie in True Blood. All heroes can not all live. Some must die in the ones they love the most. Veronica did that for a reason. So it all depends on the fans of the series to accept for how it is written and what not. So in fact she did an awesome job in writing them and for that reason, she should not have to rewrite them. Anyone who says differ then they need to reread the series and have a deep thinking session all by themselves about how the story is written.

        Loading editor
    • Veronica may have killed off Tris because it really makes the book memorable. Like I read the book 2 or so years ago, aside from detail reading in certain parts to allow me to edit pages. But, back to the point, as sad as it is when you think Allegiant, you think "Tris dies" and after you read Four's feelings you can't forget it, just like you can't forget Harry Potter's "I open at the close." Or The Hunger Games' "Stay with me, Peeta." "Always."

      Veronica Roth, by killing off her main character, something not alot of authors do, made her book memorable, no matter what you can't forget this moment in the books, and that is the point of this long comment that I've just written.

        Loading editor
    • ok so i didnt finish the first book and came her for sopilers. and now i havent stopped crying for like hours and feel like i will never live. veronica roth is the best author ever, the way she ended the book, will never be forgotten . and i think she was right about the fact that normally all hoeores live except tris . even writing now i cant stop crying and find it hard to breath. this is the only book that has ever made me this emotional and i havent even finished divergent yet . this just  proves how amaxing this book is . yh im sad but this book will ALqays Be remerbed and i feel so sorry for four. just imagining the grieve and pain makes me even sad and for caleb how could he do that to his sisister /? .

        Loading editor
    • 112.202.19.176 wrote:
      I don't get why most of use DIEING. It's supposed to be DYING, idiots.

      Umm only 2 people used dieing, so i don't know why you are talking.

        Loading editor
    • Tris' death made me EXTREMELY sad and heartbroken, but it worked with the storyline. It showed that during war, many people don't care who lives or dies, as long as they win, and that not all stories have a happy ending.

        Loading editor
    • My friend stopped reading Divergent because Will died in the first book. She cried for hours. I wonder how will she react when she finds out that Tris died. 

        Loading editor
    • Awesome characters die in every series (Looking at you, Uriah and Finnick), but the main character dying, it was a new thing.

        Loading editor
    • ILoveTobias wrote: My friend stopped reading Divergent because Will died in the first book. She cried for hours. I wonder how will she react when she finds out that Tris died. 

      I cared more about Will and Uriah than Tris lol

        Loading editor
    • To be honest, Tobias is right about Tris. She is a hot headed, ill temepered person. So I don't mind her dying. No- offence Tris fans. 

        Loading editor
    • ILoveTobias wrote:
      To be honest, Tobias is right about Tris. She is a hot headed, ill temepered person. So I don't mind her dying. No- offence Tris fans. 

      I agree even though she found that balance she loved sacrificing herself at EVERY possible moment just to make her parents proud. I think that going into weapons for her brother was right but everything after that was stupid. I didn't cry for Tris nor I realy cared. I only cried for Tobias because out of this whole entire he was the broken one and things just got worse for him in the last book. I kinda wish he had something to remember Tris by like a kid of theirs or something because the memories of how she looked like etc. will not last forever (it's true because I don't remember what happened when I was a baby and memories of people's faces get replaced. I also hated how no one except the 3℅ of people left alive really cared about Tris' death. I was hoping for a ceremony or something that shows Tris' death meant something for EVERYONE in the city. Now Roth made everything worse with her new epiolgue.

      Spoiler Alert

      She destroyed Fourtris and add a new ship. She didn't wrap up any loose ends and mainly focused on that ship. The only good part of Allegiant was before they left the city and everything else went downhill. I personally think that everything went downhill after Divergent. It should of just been one book. And if you think Allegiant was bad We Can Be Mended makes the whole series worse. Allegiant didn't need an epiolgue she only have it to us because she didn't want us complaining about not getting a happy ending. But I thought she was the one who said books don't need a happy ending. She controdicting herself. I felt that if she wrote a proper last book but still with Tris' death then this would be my favourite series again but 🎶the past is in the past!!!!!! Let it go!! Let it go!!!🎶 And to think people would of actually liked this series and remembered it to this day because of the sadness and hope if the author reread her work and have many people, really hard critics, both young and old to look over her work 😢.

        Loading editor
    • Look at it, Tris was doing the same thing as David.

        Loading editor
    • Utkar22 wrote:
      Look at it, Tris was doing the same thing as David.

      Exactly and it's funny how she can up with this dumb plan anyways. People are going to wipe the memories of the people YOU care about so instead of trying to shut the machine down, or threatening David, they send someone in a sucide mission to erase the memories of people YOU don't care about to save the people YOU want to save. If David was going to kill someone she cared about and she killed him that would have been better but really, she chose to erase people's minds to. When I read that they were going to stop the memory I thought they were just going to shut it down or blow it up because that was the 1st thing I would have done if I was in her place. When I read the part about Caleb going I knew Tris was going to do something to change that but it's funny how no one else knew that. Let's be honest here the only time Tris really thought of others in the book was when she went into the weapons room instead of Caleb even when she was dying she never fought to keep herself alive for her friends she just asked I'm I done yet and her mom was encouraging her to die WTF. If I was Tris mom I would have slapped her because it would it be better if she stays alive help others, those people help more people and eventually things will get better instead of dying and no one except the few left alive knows about her death and can't really look up to her because no one really knew her. It gets me mad that people say that this book is "PERFECT". Thats some major BS right there!!! You can give this book a 4/5, 1/5, -1000/5 but not a 5/5. It would get %100 if it was written without any flaws, major plot holes, etc. I don't care if anyone loves it or hates it no one should say it's "PERFECT" because believe or not it's not even close to perfect.

      What I Hated

      Everything after they left the city

      All the characters (not much left alive anyways). They all acted differently and a lot of the bad people got a free pass

      What I liked 

      The fact that Tris went into the weapons room and nothing else after she survived the death serum

      The make out scences (probably the only scenes with action, beside the vet beginning and the crappy ending

      Tobias' grief then sort of moving on (the only time in this book where he didn't act like a wimp)

      What she could of done to make it better

      CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!

      I'll be more specific. SOME things are:

      Making the outside cool not another Chicago with a different name

      Have Caleb's POV (the last book is about Tris and Caleb not Four)

      Everyone knowing about Tris' death so that they can actually change 

      Tris going down like a hero not like a pig getting slaughtered to become a hamburger that no one really cares about except non-meat eaters

      Do something interesting with the side characters

      Have Tobias leave the city to change the world (something that Tris obviously wanted but no one did)

      Not letting Evelyn win

      Letting Peter suck it up and live with a Stiff dying to save everyone

      Keeping Jeanine and Eric alive (it would have been so suspenseful if all 3 badies worked together

      Not killing off Tori but keeping her in the city to fight

      Adding more action

      Going more deep into the whole Nita and Tris problem (it would be great to see Tobias fight for Tris again)

      Tobias not giving up a life of being awesome for working in an office

      Tobias being the leader

      Tobias not being so wimpy in this book ➡

      Me:you're damaged

      Old Tobias *gets his knives*

      Allegiant Tobias *walks around feeling sorry for himself*

      Keeping Tris body (he can't really remember her face forever so it would be nice if he visited her once in a while and nobody say I'm wrong because it's hard to remember someones face from a long time ago)

      Adding alot more action

      Tris meeting the president( if they have one) or something like that

      Have the time span years instead of a couple months (yeah it's so believable that a 16ryrs girl learn the true meaning of selflessness in a couple of months where as people in Abnegation take years to learn that)

      Make Tris 18 instead of 16 because it makes me think that I could be in her place in a several months

      So that was a "few" to name but trust there is alot more

      Now you have reached the end of my rant which I was hoping that it wouldn't be one because I was just reply to the person who replied to my comment earlier. Anyways have a good day and dont be a pansycake 😆😊 (only true divergent fans would understand the last sentence)😊

        Loading editor
    • Tobias gets depresed and it doesn't help that Tris dies, so it does create a conflict between his life and him. It creates the perfect ending, it is somrthing that most athours doon't do. THank You  Veronica Roth.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.